Friday, August 31, 2007

Rosie the Riveter

Rosie The Riveter Became An Icon
Rosie the Riveter
I never was thanked for helping to change society. I never needed a thank you. I just wanted a career that allowed me to defend my country.

This Labor Day weekend, Stop & Shop Supermarkets and the American Airpower Museum at Republic Airport on Long Island are sponsoring me and a half-dozen other Rosie the Riveters for a flight aboard a World War II bomber, as a way of saying "thank you" to every one of us who ever exchanged a kitchen apron for a factory smock.

When I fly, I'll be carrying with me a photo of my two sisters who worked with me at Republic Aviation and who have since passed on. I'll be thinking of them and all of the women who reported to work and created the weapons that brought to a close one of the most horrific wars in history.
WOMEN, WORK & WWII
By JOSEPHINE RACHIELE

No comments: